The Mission of Pine Grove Zoo’s Education Department
The mission of the Pine Grove Zoo’s Education Department is to present educational programs for all ages, build partnerships with local schools, and provide interpretive information throughout Pine Grove Zoo in order to build an understanding and respect for nature and wildlife.
The Education Department is committed to developing and communicating a dynamic message about the Zoo. The Zoo is a catalyst in promoting environmental education, shaping public opinion, and supporting conservation efforts. Zoo visitors are receptive to messages about actions that they can take in their home and work lives to help animals, plants, and their habitats.
To accomplish this we will:
- Build programs that will be accurate, current, and science based. They will be appropriate for the age, knowledge, and perspectives of the audience
- Only use animals in outreach presentations that could be considered a “pet”
- Refer to the animal species on exhibit by their common name and present them as wild animals – not pets
- Ensure that all Education Department events, functions, and activities
impart the Zoo’s message
- Be environmentally consistent in word and action
- Be sensitive to animals welfare
- Provide experiences that are engaging and fun for the audience